If you own a commercial property, one thing you cannot be without is property insurance.  This protects the physical property and ensures that you are covered for a wide range of perils from fire, theft and vandalism to subsidence or flooding.   

While every insurance policy will have its own terms and conditions, all will have security requirements. This may be as simple as having the right locks in place or may include more stringent measures. 

Minimum physical security requirements 

Top of the list of minimum security requirements for the physical building will be the locks you have. A few examples of the general kinds of clauses you may see include: 

  • Doors that are part of the building you occupy will need to have specific standards of locks 
  • Any doors that have access to your area of a building from someone else’s will need the same level of security as your external doors 
  • Any accessible opening – windows, fanlights, skylights, fire escapes, decks or roof access areas – must be locked securely.  

The standard referred to is either BS3621 or BS3681. The first is the Thief Resistant Lock Assemblies while the latter refers to Thief Resistant Locks. A more common way to refer to them is a mortice deadlock – these need to have a matched boxed striking plate. Another example is a rim lock. 

These locks need to have five or more level close padlocks and locking bar. Or in other words, a five-lever mortice deadlock. These are the style that is standard on most modern doors for homes and businesses. 

How do I know if my locks are up to standard? 

In most cases, if you have had locks fitted by a professional locksmith, then they will comply with the British Standard. The majority of doors and windows will come with the standard level of security automatically as this is similar to home insurance requirements

However, if you are unsure that your locks meet the standards or have been asked to provide information about them by your insurer, then a security check is the best option.  We offer a service called SecureInsure where we can conduct a full security audit of your property and complete a risk report. 

This allows you not only to find out about the level of locks on your property but also highlight any other security risks that you need to rectify going forward. The report will show if you meet your insurer’s requirements and can be presented to them. 

Going further with security 

Depending on your location and what you do, your insurer may request additional security.  Or you may just feel better having this. We offer a range of services to help with common security areas.   

Top of the list for most businesses is a CCTV system. This acts as a deterrent but also provides usable footage if there is an incident.   

If you need help or advice about protecting your business and employees, contact us for a free no-obligation security audit. We’re here to help.